Sister Bond

Related image

The following anecdote is about the bond I share with my sisters, and how things have stayed the same between us even though one of my sister is off and married.

I have 2 sisters, both whom older than me, my oldest sister got married in April 2016. Although we do have an age gap we still have a close bond that we cherish, and have kept close to our hearts.

As years of my childhood have passed my sisters and I have always been told that one day you are going to get married, and will start a new chapter in your life with your soul mate, go to a place which you will be able to call YOUR home, things will change, people will change, priorities will change.

Years passed on, but I’d never realize that within an instant that day would come into my oldest sister’s life so quick, her marriage day.

My sisters and I have a very close relationship, we’ve never hesitated to share important factors of our lives with each other, we’ve always considered each other best friends.

We fight, we disagree, we get mad at one another, we talk smack, but we know that when no one else will be there for us, we will be there for one another.

As the day of my oldest sister marriage approached closer and closer I felt scared, uneasy. I was of course so happy for her she was marrying someone she loves so dearly, and I knew she was going to be in good hands. But I was scared about that the bond we share with each other, we might lose that, scared that I was going to lose a best friend, scared of how much I was going to miss seeing my sister everyday.

Post my sister marriage, it was a difficult time, as in trying to get adjusted without her being here, because one thing was for sure we depended on my oldest sister for many things, the list is endless.

As months passed on we got used to the idea that she did not live with us no more. But also as the months passed on post my sister’s marriage I started to realize that nothing has changed she still our same sister that she was before, we still share everything, we still fight, get mad… everything is still the same. That it is nothing like what we’ve been told as growing up as kids.

Yes she is married, but she still considers us all the same, like we consider her the same.

Overall, a sister’s bond is so strong that no matter what society norms tell you, that bond you’ve created with each other will always remain the same regardless the situation. A middle eastern society does follow the idea that after a girl is married, that is her family and her home, but I disagree with that society norm, I believe that once a girl is married has two families, two homes. She should be able to keep who she desires close to her heart.

A sister bond is never breakable.